Diary of A Young Pro: Alex Cowley
2) How old are you?
3) What is your job title?
Founder & CEO of Skool
4) How has the transition been from backpack to briefcase (college to adulthood)?
The transition was a blur. The week after I graduated, I started my new job the following Monday; therefore, I wasn’t able to really absorb the fact that I was no longer on a student. I had to grow up quickly without having time to breath and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
5) When you were in school, did you imagine your life the way that it is?
Absolutely not! Life made a completely unexpected left turn from the way I thought it would turn out but it was for the better and I wouldn’t change it for the world.
6) What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced during these transitional years?
Going from being carefree and self-concerned to having the biggest concern I will ever have in life with raising my beautiful daughter.
7) What is the best advice you have received from a mentor about adulthood and/or careers?
Not coming from one particular source/mentor but one thing that I find essential for a successful career and life is that planning and execution is what separates those who are and aren’t successful. Also surround yourself with others with talents that compliment your own.
8) What advice would you give a young professional?
Do what makes you happy and go all in to become the best you can at it. Never forget to enjoy life, never pass up on an opportunity to have fun and embrace the moment.
9) What is next for you and the next 12 months? Do you have any goals you would like to accomplish? How are you going to accomplish them?
Following my advice by doing what makes me happy! I am in the process of starting a mobile-based college matching app, Skool. I plan on accomplishing this goal by doing as previously stated, planning and execution. It is important to me to get in front of as many students as possible to connect with them and understand their frustrations.
10) What makes you special?
Skydiving! Not being afraid to try new and different things in which I will learn and grow from. I would also say my fortitude, ambition, and hustle are key factors in what makes me special.